Saturday, March 26, 2011

We love ZEAL!!!







We recently got a sample box of The Honest Kitchen's newest flavor, Zeal. I am not sure who was more excited when the box finally arrived, me or the dogs! We got it this past Wednesday and I have been giving it to everyone for dinner, they still get dry food for breakfast....this works out pretty good since I am usually running behind in the mornings. The Zeal formula's top ingredient is dehydrated white fish and let me tell you...once you open the box, you can surely smell the fish! Let's just say with Sawyer's nose, that boy was trying to get to the box before I had opened it. The good news is that they all love it and their stools have been great! The only not so good thing is that for a multi-dog household, to feed it twice a day would probably be a little expensive. I have 5 dogs weighing -- 115lbs, 100lbs, 96lbs, 60lbs and 50lbs. Total dry cups for each feeding are around 7-8 cups. So we have already used half the box up and it's not been a week. :-( Other than that, if cost wasn't an issue, we would totally switch over to THK's food for all meals.

For those unfamiliar with The Honest Kitchen, they have dehydrated whole foods for pets. You pretty much just add water and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. At my house, 10 minutes is a lifetime...I have to make one bowl at a time and then place them all in a crate so the dogs can't get to it while I am timing it. They then take turns guarding it and growling at each other and Sawyer usually ends up opening the bottom latch, but luckily by then it is time to separate and feed.

Another thing I can't really say for sure is that Sawyer may *possibly* be allergic to one of the ingredients. I noticed Thursday night one of his paws was super red on the bottom between his toes and it was also pink on top of his toes. However, this was after he had eaten the food twice...but as of today his foot is still hot pink. He's had THK's Force flavor before and had no problems, so it very well could be just one thing in the Zeal.

Overall, we give it a great review. The dogs start whining when they see me grab the box down and get the scoops ready to fill bowls. I also like how there are bigger "chunks" of veggies and fish in it! Well I am assuming the white chunks are fish...

Check out their website to find out more: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/






1 comment:

GinH said...

I hope you got our Zeal! I need to post my review... Nola LOVES THK but Zeal just didn't do it for her.